Wednesday, July 23, 2008

When the writing is not good

Well, having gushed about how smoothly things were going a few weeks ago, I feel morally obligated to confess now that things are somewhat...stickier.  I now have a full draft of the article, which I let sit for a couple of days and then read all the way through today.  I've revised the introduction, trimmed some of the pedantic early material, and am proceeding to do some more minor editing and revising all the way through.  As with so many projects, the fine-tuning once the thing is 95% complete is the hardest, and I'm doing a lot of fiddling with word choice for clarity and so forth. I have perfectionist tendencies, so it would be very easy for me to keep tweaking and tweaking and tweaking and never actually send the thing out.  So I'm going to limit myself to one pass through for tweaking and try to send it off by the end of the week.

1 comment:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Stop tweaking and feel free to send it my way. I owe you a reading or two by now. And by Monday, I'll have my own project off (thanks in part to you!), and will have some time.

At this point, you're too close to it to see clearly. Best thing in these situations is to let the reader tell you what you need to do.

And congrats on cranking out another article!!!