Monday, September 8, 2008

First day

So today was my first day of class. I think it will go well. I have a roomful of people who are eager to take the course, who come from an array of different backgrounds and so bring different perspectives to the material. My only trouble at the moment is that there are too many of them; the course is overenrolled and I'm going to have to turn some away.

I need to adjust to the new rhythm of the school year: two days a week teaching and being on campus all day, three days working in the home office on research, writing, and the rest of it. I hope to confine teaching responsibilities to my two teaching days as much as possible. I have a lot of writing to do, and it is too easy to let teaching fill all possible time.

1 comment:

Notorious Ph.D. said...

I've been trying the "teaching responsibilities on teaching days" thing, but the problem is that, like a dummy, I've gone and assigned my classes a whole new set of readings. What, in god's name, was I thinking?!?