Monday, June 29, 2009

Well, perhaps not quite nothing

The article I've been revising for ages was accepted. *throws confetti*

One of the things which has always struck me as distinctive about the academic life is how achievements are delayed. One works and works over a piece of writing, sends it off, and doesn't hear much until weeks or months later. By that time, ideally, one has moved on to other projects, and isn't in the same mental space any more. It seems to me to make it difficult to celebrate achievements and milestones, because the moment of doing the work and the moment of hearing its reception are so far separated.

4 comments:

Bavardess said...

Congratulations! I understand what you mean about the whole delayed recognition thing, but I hope you find a good way to celebrate.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Whoo hoo! Hey, congrats to you! This has been a good month or so for you, no?

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Great news!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

excellent!