Monday, March 2, 2009

I got the job

I actually got the job.

It's a great job for me. It fits really well with my priorities, and my (future) colleagues seem really nice. I'm delighted to have accepted the offer.

I was originally going to make some comments on the job market in this post, but they rapidly got more complain-y than I was comfortable publishing. So suffice it to say: I've been on the job market now for many years. It's taken me as long to get a tenure-track offer as it took me to get a Ph.D. in the first place. I've actually been quite lucky, in that I've had very solid and generally enjoyable temporary teaching jobs in the meantime. But I am ecstatic to finally have that tenure-track offer.

14 comments:

BarbS said...

Congratulations! My dept just hired a medievalist, too, so I know the competition is tough. Of course, I have also been on the market for years, and am still waiting for the t-t job, so it is heartening to see that persistence can pay off! Congrats again!

Curtis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AndrewMc said...

Congrats! That's great news.

Notorious Ph.D. said...

Hooray!

I think I already said that. But yay, you!

And man, it's a *good* job.

(secret word: bewlr. "Bewlr..? Bewlr...?)

Belle said...

Many many happy dances! Congratulations! :-D

(note to the masses; Notorious' bewlr (which I see as bewildered) beats my ederti... the noises that emerge from the bewildered ;-)

The History Enthusiast said...

Congrats!

Janice said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful news.

The Steel Magnolia said...

Yippee Skippee! I was starting to think that T-T jobs were just a myth. There's soooo much depressing job news that good news like this is incredibly exciting. Yay for you! Now go eat some ice cream for me!

Dr. S said...

Hooray! Congratulations! Now for the fun part!

Ink said...

Many congratulations to you! Pop the champagne...

the rebel lettriste said...

Wonderful! I am thrilled for you!

NewKidontheHallway said...

Congratulations!!!

Another Damned Medievalist said...

Wonderful! I think it wasn't the same one I interviewed for, was it? Congrats ever so much!

clio's disciple said...

ADM: Nope, not the same job!

Everyone: Thanks!